3.06.2007

a shared thought...on a spiritual note:

"Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if
someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain
it. But do this in a gentle and respectful way."
-1 Peter 3:15-16a

i love this verse. it has always been a foundation of my faith, because that "hope" is what gets me through the times that are so difficult to understand. when i make mistakes that i can't comprehend, when tragedy strikes, when someone i love is hurting, hope keeps me going.

i am so thankful that God gave us the gift of free will, to choose Him, to make decisions...he could have made us puppets, but he didn't. we are each different and unique, and we are each responsible for choosing whether we embrace or refuse this "hope" that Christ offers us.

as i read this little devotional, this sentence really stuck out to me:

"Too many times people are turned off to the gospel because
of the approach, not the message."

that covers the portion of the verse, "but do this in a gentle and respectful way." i've had moments in life that i was too forward about my faith, and moments in life that i let an opportunity to share it pass by. but i think what this verse is saying to me today is this; our "hope" in many cases, IS our witness as christians. it's the hope that i have, the trust, the confidence in my faith in Jesus Christ, that keeps me going.