3.28.2011

first half = new hobby!


on sunday i ran my first half marathon here in dallas, the rock n' roll half marathon. i ran with my brother, josh, which made it extra fun. :) i started training in january after running the white rock marathon relay with my brothers and dad, and feeling very inspired. over the course of the last few months, i can honestly say i've gone from someone that ran some for exercise to someone that really loves running.

for years asthma and sports injuries kept me from really being able to run much more than three to five miles, but thanks to advair (asthma medicine) and ibuprofen, i think i may be able to keep up my new hobby.

our race was great. pre-race i kept saying i just wanted to finish, but internally i REALLY wanted to make it in 2 hours. with one bathroom break and a dead sprint at the last turn, we finished in 2:00:08! so exciting!! thanks again to my family members and friends that were able to make it out. it meant SO much to us that you were there!

now, to find another good half somewhere...any suggestions??

4 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

I felt the same way after my first half and have continued to do them. I did the Nashville half last April and it was really hilly but fun, might be too late of notice though. I also got an email about a rock n' roll in Savannah which would be awesome!! I'm doing the Air Force half in September since the showcased plane this year is the B1. That one is in September. But I'm seriuosly thinking about that Savannah one! Congrats!!

Shannon said...

WAY TO GO, KATY! I secretly still want to do another one at some point, but my hip is still not back to normal. UGH! It was such a fun, motivating day for me and I am sure you felt the same way! Could be very addicting if I hadn't done something to my poor old body! :-( Keep it up! You are amazing!

Chrisann said...

Congratulations! That is awesome. I'm pretty sure there are a number of half marathons in Chicago. Would love for you to come run one!

klp said...

thanks so much friends! and chrisann, you are right...and i am actually looking at one coming up in the next few months. i will let you know!!