7.23.2008

U2 re-release

most folks that know me are aware that since childhood, i have had the same favorite band (and the same favorite football team, but that's another post - go sooners!). on my grandfather's birthday (4/9) in the year 1987, i was ten years old. this was the fateful day my brother, jarrod gave me my first U2 album (that wasn't dubbed off of his tapes)...my very own, brand new, shiny, sealed-in-that-clear-plastic-wrap, tape - the joshua tree. he told me it would change my life or the way i listen to music or something of the sort, and as usual, big brother was correct. since that day i have faithfully followed, listenened to, payed-exorbitant- amounts-to-attend-concerts and purchase-bootleg- releases-that-i-pretend-no-one-else-has...and loved every minute of it. i cry at every tour...tear up when "bad" comes on the radio...the love runs deep, my friends.

well today i read an article by my new buddy, thor (who, in our first and only meeting, i actually had this* conversation with) about the re-release of their first three albums, along with a "bonus" album (the kind people like me are suckers for) and i thought - U2 has a following that allows them to re-release old albums and make zillions. this just further proves their amazing-ness (new word, just made it up), yet i still cannot name my favorite album*. the blog addition to the article asked people to name their favorite U2 album, and i loved reading the responses. i fear i cannot choose just one - do i choose war because i love that raw, gritty U2 sound, or joshua tree because it was such a breaking point in my U2-fandom, or any of the many others, because i love each of them so very, very, much?!?

since i know most of you, my friends, are fans of this brilliant band, i have decided to post a poll (in sidebar) to help me decide. your favorite U2 album ever...you can choose multiple albums, i cannot track you down, your votes are anonymous, so have no fear. six days and counting.

drumroll, please...

1 comment:

klp said...

it was a landslide vote in favor of 'the joshua tree'. kinda what i figured might happen...